Thursday 1 May 2014

Google+ Is Not Dead.

An Interruption To Normal Posting

According to some, far greater Tech commentary than what I offer the Social Media Platform known as Google+ "is dead" or at very least "dying".

Which is Utter Nonsense!

Let me give my account, to help fuel the fire of this widespread internet argument. The recent article by Techcrunch 'google is walking dead' sparked rounds of backlash and general internet arm flapping.

"We've Heard"
techcrunch, article, journalism

The article concludes with generalisations and apparently hearsay, that is, unsubstantiated claims and not referable details to a fact. the term "We've heard..." starts 3 of the paragraphs in the article, which in it's presentation is belittling of Google and choices the company has made.

While I'm not a journalist, nor can I really verify beyond what I personally have experienced I can present that the impact of this article has been far reaching and has not fallen on deaf ears.

In my Google+ Circles (and yes... you might say I'm biased, but none the less let's crack on.) In my circles alone, which are not expansive, I've seen at least half a dozen different threads pop up filled with frustrated Google uses, rightly frustrated as they have been compared to brainless reanimated corpses aka zombies.

And now, here I am making my own personal vent against this irresponsible accusation. So I'd like to take just a moment to help put some details, some referable facts into public knowledge so that a better picture can be formed (I hope).

Hello, My name is Rich, and I'm a G+ User

I was an early adopter of Google+ and from those early days I was excited by a new platform, one which apparently wasn't hell bent on control. I found that on day one, I was interacting with people, and I don't just mean I liked their post or read something and quietly laughed to myself. No, I mean I was intelligibly talking with other people, people that I would never have otherwise met.

99 plus, google+
This early experience of real social media, one which allowed me to talk and interact with people that I had shared interests with was amazing, I'd had more social interaction in one day on Google+ than several years of having been on Facebook.

Facebook had for me been nothing more than a means of interacting with my long distant family members, but now... Now I had Google Plus and I was meeting and talking with interesting people from across the UK and around the globe.

To this day I still enjoy the interactions I have on G+, I'm part of several large Communities (which isn't just a synonym for shared spam inbox) these communities are filled with people talking and interacting, so much so I literally could not even begin to demonstrate just how alive this place with regard to the sheer number of posts and content.

I've long since left and closed Facebook, the platform has nothing to offer me, I still have a twitter account, but it's a little unloved. For me, G+ has everything I wanted or need from a social network; It has people.

Every day I log on, I have notifications of some thread I'm involved in having additional comments, every day I visit my communities page, several of which regularly have the (99+) red notifications telling me that in my absence there has been more replies than can be counted.

If Google+ is a failed platform, then please... define what a successful one would be.
If Google+ is dying, then please... tell me what a lively community would be?

Utter Nonsense

The article presented by Techcrunch was, in the most polite sense, nonsense. It was conjecture wrapped up in vitriol and spite. It gave nothing to properly support the accusations it makes and even the somewhat more influential and prestigious Forbes writes: "Is Google+ Really Walking Dead? Maybe, but Most Likely Not."

Sure there has been a lot of shaky ground covered by the teams that work on and develop the platform, I've personally been quite aggrieved by some of the choices made which led to undesirable changes to the platform.

I think however, it's fair to say that changes are not synonymous to failings. I change my pants, but they aren't a failure.

Find Out For Yourself

Come join the fun here are some gaming communities on Google+ : https://plus.google.com/communities/101776938390053976305 - PC Gaming https://plus.google.com/communities/106294677380036336853 - Gaming (multi platform)

You can even find gaming communities specific to games you enjoy, I personally am in two Borderlands communities and a League of Legends community and often find myself chatting with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment